PREP TIME 10 Min
COOK TIME 7 Min
READY IN 17 Min
Original recipe yield 4 burgers
* 1 pound ground beef
* 1 pinch salt
* 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
* 4 large hamburger buns
* 4 teaspoons butter
* 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
* 4 slices American cheese
* 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
* 4 leaves iceberg lettuce, shredded
* 4 teaspoons mayonnaise (optional)
1. Preheat an outdoor grill to high heat, and lightly oil grate.
2. Divide the ground beef into 4 balls, and flatten into patties between sheets of waxed paper. Lay patties onto the grate of the prepared grill. Sprinkle the tops of the burgers with salt. Grill for about 5 minutes per side, or to desired degree of doneness.
3. While the burgers are cooking, spread each top bun with 1 teaspoon of butter, and spread each bottom bun with 1 teaspoon of mustard. Place the buns onto the grill for just a minute to toast.
4. Assemble the burgers in this order: Bun, onion, burger patty, cheese, tomato, lettuce, a pinch of salt, and top bun. Spread mayonnaise onto top bun if using.