PREP TIME 30 Min
COOK TIME 1 Hr 45 Min
READY IN 2 Hrs 15 Min
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
* 1 pound ground beef
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 3 cups milk
* 1 pint heavy cream
* salt and pepper to taste
* 5 potatoes, sliced
* 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
* 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
* 1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onions until translucent; set aside. Cook ground beef until evenly brown. Drain excess fat, and set beef aside. Melt butter in the skillet. Add flour, and stir with a whisk for 5 minutes. Gradually whisk in 3 cups milk, then the cream. Simmer, stirring frequently, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened and is smooth. Season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat.
3. Spread a small amount of sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Alternate layers of potatoes, onions, ground beef, cheese and sauce, with 2 to 3 layers of each. Reserve some cheese to sprinkle on top. If you run short of sauce, press down on all layers, and add milk as needed. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.